Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Scale cum cutter from broken parts

In the late 90s, computers had arrived in offices, including ours.  One computer monitor [tube type] had a narrow door for operating its controls.  It swung open on two slender pivots.  After some wear and tear, this fibre door had come off.  It was like a ruler. So I thought of making use of it as a ruler.  A computer part came packed with something later.  I was looking through some boxes.  There was an unusual object, orange coloured with nice smooth edges. The boxes were kept for disposal.  A 100 Watt bulb lighted up in the mind.  I picked it up.

I had somewhere, probably in some engineer's office, seen a gripping handle for a scale.  What a beautiful idea I had thought, so much easier to lift and move the flat object from paper.  This orange coloured object perfectly suited as a handle for the scale.  I stuck it to the fibre scale using strong adhesive [Araldite].


This also serves me as a tearing blade as one edge had a slight taper, much to my liking.  This enables me to press-hold the paper and tear the other portion neatly.  I clearly marked the ruler in inches which is very handy.  It is 10.5 inches.

 Just for kicks, I wrote my name in dots in the groovy pattern on the other side of the scale.  This can also be displayed, the new 'grip handle' serves as a stand!  I did this part just by instinct and with no real purpose as I do not display the name!



This is yet another of my satisfying little projects.  I still use it while it also serves as a paper weight. 


This special scale has become an indispensable tool on my work desk and one of my favourites.

1 comment:

  1. I love it! Love it, love it. I need one of those! That glue must be mighty strong. I wish I knew what the equivalent of that glue would be here in the US! Putting your name on the back of it? Another stroke of genius for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments will be published only after the author of the blog reads them. Thanks.