Friday, January 18, 2013

Shelf from shelf shutters!

A small old dilapidated structure was brought down 3 years ago. There was a small shelf built in brick which was also dismantled.  I looked for any picture I might have taken before that, but this shelf was out of frame in the one shot. So no picture to show its original location.  Its wooden planks and wooden shutters of teak were saved.  They were lying around asking for reuse.

In my room, I needed a rack to keep some books and other items to fit in the space beside a window bay. Only recently, the idea that this pair of shutters might suit this project flashed like lightning when I had woken up at about 3 a.m.  I do not know from where this came from!

The height of the shutters were about 4 feet and to fit that space it required a width of 24".  The plank available was just perfect because I did not want to cut the teak plank.  I thought of using a couple of cracked planks as shelves, but I decided it was not a good idea.  Instead I looked around if there were some plywood from another project.  I found some quarter-inch thick plywood, which was left over.  Its 'ready-width' of 22" also suited me!  So I cut up the size from that board.  

For the top, I used the original plank as it was.  But there was a slight shortfall towards the top front.   A broken plank [from another such shelf] which had cracked along a curved grain was used after properly shaping it. It can be seen in the picture below, lying on the ground.  It came nicely to my own satisfaction.  For the back, I used some old hard board which was also left over from some other project.  I have used only nails to assemble this rack.  I had to screw in four plastic bushes at the bottom to allow the broom to push the dirt from the gap.  Now some pictures.


Ready to go into place.  It surely needs to be painted. 


Placed. Don't get distracted by the 'stand-out' rosewood rack.  Look beside it.


Top plank piece shaped.

3 comments:

  1. Honestly, I would take some very fine steel wool and water to the shutters and just clean them up, then perhaps rub them down with an oil. You could stain or paint the shelves and their cleats for contrast. The patina on that old wood is too beautiful to cover! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sanding it lightly and then a coat of paint will be applied.

      Delete

Your comments will be published only after the author of the blog reads them. Thanks.